Hi, thanks for enquiring about paddling with the Northcliffe Outrigger Canoe Club!
You can just turn up, however we recommend contacting a club official first so we can be prepared and know to look for you! When you want to join, email the Registrar email@example.com and we will help you get going!
At your first session you will be given a brief rundown of what to do – then it’s all hands on deck as we (figuratively) throw you in the deep end! Now it’s time to enjoy, have fun, and work hard!
For training sessions we recommend you wear sunscreen, bring a drink bottle with water, and wear a hat for sun protection, clothing that can get wet: eg: board shorts/t-shirt/gym top. No expensive sunnies or prescription glasses are recommended, we’d hate for you to loose your valuables. Car keys can be stored in the club container whilst we are out on the water.
Some things for you to know about:
What Happens Next – after your first few visits to the club
If you would like to continue with the sport, we would be delighted! You are welcome to attend any training sessions you are able to and we recommend that if you would like to race competitively that you try to attend between 2-3 sessions a week to improve your fitness levels to be able to complete at least the Short Course races (8k’s).
It’s also important for you to be aware of the associated costs with participating in a sport like Outrigging, so some of these are detailed these below:
AOCRA Insurance – $70. This fee is not paid to the club, it is paid to the Australian Outrigger Canoe Racing Association to cover you in the unlikely event of an accident whilst paddling. You can pay this online if you have a VISA / MASTERCARD. Website: www.aocra.com.au click on “Join as New Member” and follow the prompts. (this needs to be paid after you have completed 3 free sessions)
Many of the regatta events are located at various locations around the State ranging from Harvey Bay to Coffs Harbour so there are also occasions when you would need to stay overnight. We generally organize accommodation with other paddlers from the club to keep costs down, but it’s a personal choice where you stay from Campgrounds to 5 Star whatever your budget allows.
Northcliffe Annual Dinner
Every year we host an Awards Dinner at the end of the Season usually in July / August to celebrate the season’s achievements.
NOVICE Squad Training Times:
- Tuesday/Thursday – Morning – 4.50am Arrive – 5.00am On the Water – 6.20 Off the Water
- Thursday/Thursday Night – 5.20pm Arrive – 5.30pm On the Water – 7.00pm Off the Water
- Saturdays – 5.40am Arrive – 6.00am On the Water – 8.30 / 9.00am Off the Water (Not Every Saturday depending on Race Calendar)
- If you have any questions at all, please let us know – drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Regular Training Sessions
Before you may join in with the competitive training sessions you must first complete all of the following requirements;
- Obtain AOCRA Insurance Cover (see information below)
- Complete a short swim test
- Participate in at least one Huli (roll over) drill
- Have completed a simple Participant Form (click here) which details emergency contacts, fitness history and your personal goals and objectives for the sport and club. This information is kept confidential and is also used by the club coaches to ensure you are individually catered for and paired with groups and teams with similar expectations and abilities.
- Be a social member of the Northcliffe Surf Life Saving Club (cost $10 per year) Download form here
- Either have your own, or use of an outrigging paddle
With these requirements met (AOCRA Insurance, Participant Form, Swim Test & Huli Drill), you are free to join in with all training sessions and coaching clinics. The race season commences early in each season so training will intensify leading up to club targeted events.
How to Register with AOCRA for Insurance Cover
Firstly you need to open up the AOCRA website: www.aocra.com.au
You will see some headings up the top, hover over “MEMBER SIGN IN/JOIN AS NEW MEMBER”, and left click. If you are a new member (i.e. you haven’t been insured with AOCRA within the last 12 months), then left click on “APPLY TO BE A NEW MEMBER”
You can now enter in all your details, select your zone (SE QLD) and club (NORTHCLIFFE), and make payment by Visa card or MasterCard. Just follow the prompts. Your membership fee is for 12 months from the date you join (i.e. if you join on the 2nd of March 2008, your membership will expire on 1st of March 2009. You will receive by email a tax invoice/receipt for your payment, plus an email with your Member ID and password.
NOTE: If you select YES to DO YOU HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION? you will note the following appears. You will see there is a CLICK HERE field to download a Medical Declaration Form. This form must be completed and returned to the AOCRA Registrar (Michelle Lynes, 2 Raintree Crt Andergrove 4740). Your membership will be in SUSPENSE until this medical declaration is received.